Once in a while someone comes a long and tells me they have celiac disease, so cannot eat wheatgrass, so I thought I would make this post for those who need to know does wheatgrass have gluten?
It is important to know that grass has no gluten, especially young grass, so there is no reason to fear gluten.
But even just saying that is often not enough to calm concerns.
Let’s say you have celiac disease or you are otherwise very sensitive to gluten. You hear the word “wheatgrass” and your alarm bells start going off.
You might even avoid anything with wheatgrass altogether, just to be sure you’re on the safe side.
It’s understandable you have that reaction, because gluten is worth avoiding at all costs, so even the slightest notion there might be some gluten or wheat in wheatgrass is enough to scare people.
So today, we’re going to talk about wheatgrass and why it is very different than wheat.
What is Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass is the sprout or very young grass shoots of the common wheat plant. These shoots are the first little leaves that pop up out of the ground, and therefore, have yet to produce any wheat.
It is, absolutely, gluten free.
In fact, the Beyond Celiac Foundation agrees that it is very safe for people with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. However, they caution that you buy wheatgrass from a reputable source that protects against cross-contamination, because most wheatgrass growers don’t take any precautions to avoid cross-contamination at all.
Like all sprouts, wheatgrass is highly nutritious, containing powerful doses of vitamins and minerals, including more beta-carotene than carrots and more vitamin C than oranges!
Wheatgrass contains all 102 minerals found in our soil, and is the most powerful form of chlorophyll, which I always prefer more than chlorella as the latter is a sea plant, and the former a land plant, so wheatgrass is much more adapted for human digestion.
Health experts the world over tout wheatgrass as one of the most important superfoods. What’s so super about it?
Wheatgrass is the most concentrated food source of chlorophyll, the plant energy that comes from photosynthesis.
That’s what gives wheatgrass its distinct, bright, green color. More than any other food – even dark, leafy greens like spinach – wheatgrass contains 70% chlorophyll.
Chlorophyll does a few very important things for you:
- Increases blood oxygen levels and red blood cell count, which cleanses and detoxifies your blood
- Works like an oxygen booster throughout the body, which helps to fight damage on the cellular level – remember, the #1 way to fight acid is to oxygenate!
- Detoxifies and cleans the liver
- Fights free radicals, slowing the aging process and keeping cells healthy and cancer-free
- Detoxifies the entire body, removing heavy metals and carcinogens found in the bloodstream
- Induces cancer cell apoptosis (cell death!)
- Improves digestion and fights complaints like IBS, acid reflux, colitis, and ulcers
- Prevents and fights anemia because wheatgrass is iron-rich
- Lowers high blood pressure, triglycerides, and cholesterol
- Stimulates thyroid hormone production
- Boosts your immunity to everything
- Fights inflammation
- Keeps your skin clear of acne, eczema, and psoriasis
- Boosts your metabolism, aiding weight loss
- Helps regulate your blood sugar
- Prevents bacterial overgrowth
- Balances your hormones
- And of course, alkalizes your whole body
Between its powerful antioxidants, its liver-cleansing properties, and its ability to fight inflammation, consuming 100% organic wheatgrass every day is a great way to reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, and liver disease.
On the other hand, consuming non-organic wheatgrass or even processed, refined and cooked organic wheatgrass, will not provide much benefit at all, because it must be 100% raw and 100% Organic.
Wheatgrass has also been shown to lessen the side effects of cancer treatments like radiation and chemotherapy.
Wheat is The OPPOSITE of Wheatgrass!
Let’s be clear – the picture I just painted about wheatgrass could not be more different than wheat! In fact, the differences are phenomenal!
And let me be crystal clear: only 100% raw and 100% organic wheatgrass can provide you all the wonderful benefits above, otherwise you will be wasting your time, wasting your money and hurting your health further.
You can experience this powerfully healthy wheatgrass in MealBetix, the last 100% Organic meal in the country.
Dr Darren Wayne, aka The Food Guru, is one of the last Food Scientists not on Big Food’s payroll, not on Big Pharma’s payroll and not on anyone’s payroll, which means he has no agenda, other than to tell you as much truth as possible, before it’s too late. Read his latest best-seller, 80 Hormonal Health Myths Busted, before they censor it!